Sunday, August 19, 2007

How to show your customer that you care?


Gift giving is made a lot more complicated that what it should be.


There is an old saying “ People don’t care about how much you know until they know how much you care”.


In my life I have found this to be true. I am sure if you think about it, in your life there are people who have stood out.


Those are the people who take time for you, who understand your situation, or who have a listening ear. In fact from a spiritual level, the Christian bible has a section on the love and spiritual gifts. “If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth, but didn’t’ love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like clanging symbol.” It speaks about a number of the spiritual gifts but love always comes out on tops.


What does this has to do with corporate gifts, you may ask? Well a lot actually. Going through a corporate gift catalogue and choosing gifts according to budget without being concerned with to whom or why you are giving out these gifts to is rather meaningless.


But of course you do not have the time to get an individual gift for each client. There are however ways of showing that you actually took some time to consider your client.


For example today I sent out a low cost gift idea to some of my regular clients. Usually I do not send out the inexpensive give-away option notifications, although there are on our on-line gift catalogue, but when I received notification that the gift idea had arrived in stock, I saw how it could make my life better.


For years I have suffered with backache and before I had my daughter I would often be seen with a large handbag. The kind that contains the kitchen sink as well as all the “absolutely essential” things that any woman has to have.


Plagued by continuous, shoulder and backache and frequent headaches I ditched the large bag and opted for a small bag that can only contain a few things.


But I do still need a cell phone; in fact I have two, one for business and one for personal, so that I preserve my private family time. I also need a pen, business card holder, lipstick holder, notepad, comb; lipstick brush and a few other odds and ends.


Today I received a notification of an all-in-one calculator with pen and business card holder. The business card holder has a roller so you can just roll the business card out. What, a wonderfully compact and useful item. One that can easily fit into my handbag and give me more space and time. Time, you may question… yes, time. Scratching around for a pen, my business card holder etc is frustrating. Here it is all in one space and that removes frustration in my life.


Now how can you make the love of people relevant to this gift? Well just send a note to accompany your gifts communicating something much like my experience and tell your client, that you know that life is cluttered and that we all need a little extra space, extra time, less frustrations etc.


Now you have just found gifts that can make your client’s life a little easier. The gift then changes from a just another branded gift, to a solution that you have thought up just to help your client improve their life.


The best received gifts are the ones where your client sees that you took a little extra time and thought into what your corporate gift is.

Start spreading the love.

No comments: